This blog contains information for Mrs. Pluta's classes at the Lorain County JVS. It is hoped that Our Classroom Connection will keep students engaged in class discussion outside the school day.

Friday, March 4, 2011

Should Parenting be a Battle?

Students in my Sociology class have been discussing Cultural Diversity.  Students have shared wonderful presentations and we have all learned a lot about different societies and subcultures.  In the midst of this, one of my students recommended that I read Amy Chua's novel Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.  In this book, Chua shares her views of parenting and the story of how she raised her own two daughters, Sophia and Lulu.

Here's a short list of what Chua's daughters couldn't do:
  • attend a sleepover
  • watch TV
  • choose their own extracurricular activities
  • play any instrument other than the piano or violin
  • earn any grade less than an A
What were her daughters allowed to do?
  • practice piano or violin for no less than five hours a day
  • give their parents complete respect
  • come in first place for any competition
  • leave school during recess, music, or gym to practice piano or violin
As  a parent, I can honestly say I have nothing in common with Chua.  I would be the parent she describes as a Western Parent.  Throughout the book, she refers to this parenting style with negativity.

For five bonus points, let me know what you think.  Leave a comment below by Friday, March 11th.  What kind of parenting style do you believe is the best?

1 comment:

  1. I think that's overly controlling. Parenting, not that I have any experience in it, should be to teach and guide children through their naive years of living, not control every aspect of it.

    ReplyDelete